Crowns and bridges are some of the most common dental restoration procedures that we do here at Smile Designers Dental. Dental crowns are recommended for teeth that have been weakened by decay, broken due to an accident, or have a very large cavity. We will place the crown over the tooth to improve its appearance and function, and we will shape it to look just like your natural teeth.
When Do You Need a Dental Crown?
There are several instances when a patient can benefit from dental crowns. If the tooth is decayed, damaged or cracked, a dental crown may help protect what’s left of the tooth, as well as restore its function. A dental crown can also be an option for those who want to realign, reshape or whiten their teeth.
- It protects any weak tooth and keeps it from breaking.
- It restores a severely worn down tooth.
- It covers any imperfections.
- It supports and covers a tooth with a large filling especially where there’s not enough tooth structure remaining.
- It keeps a dental bridge in place.
- It covers a misshapen or stained tooth.
- It can be placed over a dental implant, as a replacement tooth.
When Do You Need Dental Bridges?
Dental bridges are restorations that are comprised of two crowns joined together by a tooth. Bridges are used to replace missing teeth and it gets support from the adjacent teeth.
If you only have one missing tooth, we may recommend a dental implant and crown. However, if you have several missing teeth, particularly if they’re located on the same side in your mouth, then we may suggest getting a dental bridge instead.
It’s important to remember that a dental bridge is only ideal if the neighboring teeth have excellent bone support and are healthy and strong.
Usually, it takes only 2 visits to our office to complete a dental bridge. On your first visit, the healthy teeth will need to be prepared by resizing and reshaping them to accommodate the dental crowns that will be placed in between them. A local anesthetic will be administered so that you will feel as comfortable as possible. Then the dentist will take an impression of the teeth and send it to the lab where your custom dental bridge will be created. You will be fitted with a temporary bridge while waiting for the dental bridge to be completed. Once it’s ready, it will replace the temporary bridge and adjusted until it fits perfectly in your mouth.
With a dental bridge, you get the following advantages:
- You can have a much-improved smile.
- A dental bridge does not move or become loose over time, unlike dentures.
- It will restore the function of your teeth.
- Your remaining teeth will not move out of their current position.
- It can lower the risk of bone loss.
If you have one or more missing teeth, we can help enhance your smile. Please call our office to schedule an appointment with our dentist.